Ultimate Italy (Summer 2019)
Ultimate Italy (Summer 2019)
This magnificent journey showcases Italy’s grand past, romantic cities and exquisite natural wonders. Step into the ancient world, as a Local Expert shows you the cobblestone alleyways of Pompeii, the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel in VIP style, and the gravity-defying Tower of Pisa. Along the way, you’ll discover how medieval trades are being kept alive, participate in a Tuscan cooking masterclass and cruise along the canals of Venice onboard a traditional gondola. From iconic capitals to the charming fishing villages of the Cinque Terre, uncover the full grandeur of Italy. After your journey ends in Venice, why not choose to extend your luxurious travels there and step onboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express for an overnight journey to Paris? On select Chairman’s Collection departure dates you’ll have the pleasure of meeting Marchese Francesco Mazzei at his centuries-old Tuscan estate, Castello di Fonterutoli. The grounds are home to the Mazzei family’s winery, which is the second oldest in Italy, and have been owned by the family since 1435. Join Francesco for an exclusive lunch in the osteria and enjoy a wine tasting with the Marchese in the winery. Look for the CC icon on the Dates & Prices panel to see which departures feature the Chairman’s Collection.
- Rome: As night falls, delight in the romance of the Eternal City before gathering for a spectacular Welcome Dinner of delicious Italian cuisine and wine at an elegant local restaurant near Piazza Navona.
- Isle of Capri: Take in exclusive views of the Gulf of Naples from the privileged perch of Michelin-starred Mamm. Savour a delectable meal of Mediterranean flavours in perfect Caprese style, created with passion from fresh, local produce by chef Salvatore La Ragione.
- Isle of Capri: A refreshing lemon granita is the perfect way to cool down in the Mediterranean.
- Tuscany: Enjoy a tasting of rare Super Tuscan wines in the underground cellar of Machiavelli’s home before enjoying a light Farm-to-Table lunch.
- San Gimignano: Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of World Champion Gelato maestro, Sergio Dondoli, for a taste of his creamiest treats.
- Florence: Dine out in delightful Barberino di Mugello, at a family-run restaurant where Nonna makes delicious desserts! Enjoy a four-course menu with wine that pays homage to Tuscany’s most famous flavours.
- Tuscany: Join a qualified chef to experience authentic Italian cooking at a hands-on culinary masterclass, followed by lunch.
- Burano: Cruise to this charming fisherman’s island to enjoy a Celebration Dinner with wine and newfound friends.
- Dining Summary: 11 Breakfasts (B), 3 Lunches with Wine (LW) and 6 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Rome: Your Travelling Concierge welcomes you to Rome with a traditional passeggiata to the Trevi Fountain.
- Vatican City: With your Local Expert, see Rome’s most revered treasures when you visit St. Peter’s Basilica and see Michelangelo’s ‘Piet.’
- Rome: Learn of the city’s iconic history when you visit the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.
- Rome: During your orientation with your Travelling Concierge see medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Pompeii: Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town, frozen in time since the 1st century.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise between the island and mainland by hydrofoil and enjoy two nights on this famous isle.
- Isle of Capri: Travel in style by open-top taxi as you get a flavour of the jet-set lifestyle.
- Isle of Capri: Enjoy a private cruise around the island to see its hidden coves and grottos.
- Isle of Capri: Admire the famous Faraglioni Rocks from the gardens of Caesar Augustus as you explore with your Local Expert.
- Assisi: Join your Local Expert and find out why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Assisi: Explore the town during sightseeing with your Local Expert.
- Perugia: Join your Local Expert for a guided exploration through history, as you walk along Perugia’s Corso Vannucci to the main square where you’ll see the Great Fountain, Collegio del Cambio and the splendid Prior’s Palace.
- Perugia: Meet Marta, recipient of a TreadRight Foundation grant, and discover how she and her weavers are preserving the medieval tradition of loom-weaving at their artisanal workshop.
- San Gimignano: Visit the medieval Manhattan of Italy!
- Tuscany: During your visit to Machiavelli’s former home with a Local Expert, explore the Italian gardens and be privy to a private opening of the of?ce where he wrote ‘The Prince.’
- Florence: Experience Florence Your Way with the choice to join a local art historian for an insightful walk, as you admire Michelangelo’s masterpiece, the marble statue of David, in the Accademia Museum. Continue your guided walk to see the cathedral, bell tower and Gates of Paradise on the baptistery and visit the political heart of the city, Piazza della Signoria. Alternatively, choose to join a local foodie on a walking tour of the best gastronomic treats in this Tuscan town.
- Pisa: Accompanied by your Local Expert, marvel at the gravity-defying Leaning Tower of Pisa and see the Duomo and baptistery.
- Cinque Terre: Experience some of the most awe-inspiring coastal scenery on earth at the UNESCO-listed Cinque Terre. Join your Local Expert and discover charming Manarola, a picturesque ?shing village, before travelling by train to the resort town of Rapallo.
- Verona: During your orientation with your Travelling Concierge, walk past the well preserved Roman arena to Juliet’s balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance vill…
Welcome to Rome.
Rome and the Vatican in VIP Style.
Pompeii and The Isle of Capri.
Explore the Isle of Dreams.
Lush Umbria and on to Assisi and Perugia.
San Gimignano and Tuscany.
Tuscan Cooking Class and Pisa.
Exploring The Cinque Terre and The Italian Riviera.
Theatrical Venice and the Doge's Palace.
Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.